BA Companion Voucher

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by Jamesp787, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Jamesp787

Jamesp787 New Member

Hi All

Im new to this and have just got my first Amex card to start saving for BA Avios.

How easy is it to redeem a BA companion voucher for a First Class flight, when i look on BA if i find a First Class seat its generally just one seat, any tips on how to get two seat would be much appreciated.

2. Darren0291

Darren0291 Member

if you're looking for the widest availability you need to look exactly a year ahead when the flights are released - otherwise its pretty easy... you can also book an open jaw ticket being flying to one country and then flying back from another - but this needs to be done via the phone.

3. CraigS

CraigS Member

2 First Class seats is far harder than 2 Business Class seats.

Usually you have to book as soon as flights are released for sale. I think BA is 355 days in advance...

4. mpricochi

mpricochi New Member

Had same issue, I did manage to book some short distance trips on the rewards page (not using the vouchers though, saving those for more expensive trips) but haven't really found any trip I found worth using the voucher on, and it's not that easy planning a vacation 1 year in advance.

5. bobcat2010

bobcat2010 New Member

It's quite easy but only if you book the maximum amount of days in advance!

6. Ian

Ian Active Member

BA only guarantee to release 2 Business and 4 Economy seats for avios redemption on each flight, which happens 355 days before departure.
    Depending on the route, First seats may be released, and additional Business seats can also be released. Somewhere like Sydney you have practically no chance of getting seats, New York and Boston generally have bucket loads of redemption seats available.
    Keep checking is the best advice I can give.

JoeD likes this.
  7. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Yep - sometimes you see flights with 4+ First seats available. It really does depend on the route and time of year, not to mention luck.

BA Redemption Finder can be very useful: https://baredemptionfinder.com/

CrisC likes this.
  8. CrisC

CrisC New Member

I'm using the same website to track the available flights but it's sometimes complicated because shows no seats available in some routes.
    I had problems finding seats to Maldives looking for more than a year in advance.

9. CraigS

CraigS Member

I know many people want to use 2-for-1s or just collect Avios. But for the Maldives you can't really beat using AA miles to fly Etihad First Class! Much better award availability as well...

10. CrisC

CrisC New Member

I'm sorry I'm not that expert in using AA Miles and it would be great to learn!
    I'm mostly using Avios to redeem flights from few years and playing with Amex BAA (now, and Amex Gold before) to get as many miles as possible.
    To book with AA should i go to the BA website and book throw them? or if i register and log in into AA it allows me to use my Avios?
    Sorry for my confusion but it's good to know!

11. CraigS

CraigS Member

Sorry for the confusion. We tend to get carried away and write about the "best" or the "cheapest" without necessarily considering that many people in the UK have a more basic understanding and/or just collect Avios because it's the default option with BA. You can't use Avios to book AA partners such as Etihad or convert Avios into AA miles.

You'd need to start collecting AA miles from flights, hotel stays, buying them, etc. I'm not sure if there's a UK credit card option any more now that the MBNA credit card was shut down. So it's more of a longer term aspiration, perhaps starting from the frustration that one often can't use Avios or 2-for-1s when/where one would like...

CrisC likes this.
  12. CrisC

CrisC New Member

Thank you for your explanation! I actually collect in many ways but i think in UK it's easier to get Avios. Since the MBNA cc was shut down I did't see many other options for AA mile.
    Let's see in the future, i'm hoping to find a good redemption with BA to use the 2-for-1.

13. LindaMcL

LindaMcL New Member

You do need to be quick off the mark.. I'm flying to San Diego California Club Class there and First Class back using my Companion Voucher thanks to AMEX ... most of my Avios come from Tesco Clubcard. The good thing also is as I have to fly from Glasgow to Heathrow, this flight is considered as part of the journey so no Avios additional required, I only paid tax for these flights as I had the full amount of Avios required, I also used Avios to pre book my seats (Use Seat Guru to get guidance on best seats) total cost to fly to California from Glasgow and back £1,200 total for 2 adults (out Club World back First class) ... and of course you get the use of the business galleries lounge in Terminal 5A (use the South Lounge, the North gets far too busy, or the Lounge in Terminal 5B if flying international)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    JoeD likes this.