Any way to check luggage earlier to enjoy lounges

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Strategies' started by cinereus, Sep 12, 2019.

1. cinereus

cinereus Member

Any airports allow this? Maybe HKG?
    What's the earliest you can get away with?
    Is it better if you're flying F?

2. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Pretty sure you can check your bags in at Hong Kong station (or Kowloon) up to 24 hours in advance (details depend on the airline)

I normally only travel with hand luggage, so am far from expert on the subject, but generally find that most reasonable requests are agreed to when flying First, if you ask nicely enough.

With a few potential exceptions (like lounge hopping with friends at HKG maybe), I wouldn't really want to spend more than a couple of hours in most Business Class lounges anyway. They can be great for something to eat and a couple of drinks when you'd be waiting anyway, but if I really want to rest or work, I'd rather get a day room / late checkout or whatever.

3. cinereus

cinereus Member

I was thinking more the best lounges in the world. Like Frankfurt FCT. And I guess some Asian and ME ones.

Guess you're right though. So when I'm travelling for too long to go hand-luggage and not at HKG is 3 hours the normal limit everywhere?

4. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

If you're flying First (particularly from a hub if you're talking Frankfurt FCT etc), I reckon you could probably swing a fair bit longer actually.

Of course, you could even book a connecting flight same day from elsewhere and then your luggage would be checked through, if you were really keen.

5. cinereus

cinereus Member

Is it possible to interline on a ANA First redemption? I understood they were round trip only so not sure whether it's possible to tack on a paid positioning connection.

6. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Ah, with ANA I'm not sure - I was thinking Lufthansa. Remember, there's no FCT access at Frankfurt when flying with a *A partner (I recently flew SQ Suites from there).

7. cinereus

cinereus Member

Yeah I'm using Virgin miles so no FCT but the regular F lounges at FRA are pretty good too.

8. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

They're ok - I wouldn't go out of my way to spend time there (I definitely would for FCT, which I still haven't tried though!)

cinereus likes this.
  9. CraigS

CraigS Member

I discovered on my last trip that Singapore Changi lets you drop off bags early at a common "early check-in" area.

Essentially you can usually check in whenever you want at an airline's home base, as there will be check-in staff available. At outstations you are often required to wait until the check-in counter opens 3-4 hours before departure.

cinereus likes this.