Amex Platinum refer self to Amex BA?

Discussion in 'Miles & points via credit cards' started by ScK, Oct 14, 2018.

1. ScK

ScK New Member

Sorry if this is not the right place to post this, please let me know if that's the case!

I currently have an Amex Platinum charge card and have just reached my 2000 GBP spending in the first two months.

Now I was reading about referral bonuses and understood that I can get 18,000 points by referring someone to (any?) Amex card.

Am I correct in thinking that I can refer myself to apply for a (free) BA standard AMEX card, receive 18,000 referral points and, after spending 1,000 GBP on that card, get another 5,000 points?

JoeD likes this.
  2. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Hi ScK -welcome to InsideFlyer!

That was definitely the case a few months ago, but I'm honestly not sure if Amex have clamped down on it yet or not.

3. tcz8127

tcz8127 Member

I can confirm that this is absolutely the case - I self referred from Platinum to Amex Nectar 2 weeks ago and the points posted within 2 days. I even confirmed my Platinum details on the application, and activated the card on the same App login - so there was no effort whatsover on my part to suggest it wasn't the same cardholder. It's a pretty valuable quirk, as if you move across the card 'families' (BA, Nectar, etc.) you can get a welcome bonus, plus a referral bonus every time.

4. Danner3342

Danner3342 New Member

Well you learn something everyday, didn’t know that.

So would this work.......I’ve got the BA Premium plus card and I could refer my self for the Amex nectar card and gain 9000 avios referral bonus ?

5. tcz8127

tcz8127 Member

Yes, but you could get significantly more with a bit of effort, assuming you haven't had a Platinum account in the last 6 months:

Self refer to a Platinum card (=9000 Avios) spend £2000 in 3 mths (=30000 points to convert to Avios), then self refer from the Platinum to Nectar (=18000 points to convert to Avios), close the Platinum and hit the Nectar spend target (=20000 Nectar).

With the pro rata refund on the Platinum, as you'll only have had it for 3 months it'll cost a maximum £112 for 57000 Avios and 20000 Nectar - worth £670! Plus you'll have all the Platinum benefits for that period (and get to keep the hotel statuses for the whole year)

Danner3342 likes this.
  6. Danner3342

Danner3342 New Member

Thanks for advice/information, greatly appreciated.

I haven’t had the Premium card in the last 6 months, but have had the gold rewards card ...so when my 6 months are up I will give it go with your way.

Thanks

7. VinoTYT

VinoTYT Member

Still works, just done it couple weeks ago

8. Scudder

Scudder New Member

Can you repeat this every year or so?

9. tcz8127

tcz8127 Member

Even more than that - it applies to pretty much every card, and you can hold 4 max I think, so in theory you could cycle through referring to a card and then hitting the spend target (as long as you leave 6 months between doing it on the same card)

Always use the card with the best referral bonus to do the referral though (Amex Platinum is 18,000 points if you have it).

JoeD likes this.
  10. GreenPr

GreenPr New Member

Definitely works. Just did it a couple of days ago with my BA Amex Premium Plus and got 9K Avios.

JoeD likes this.
  11. West

West New Member

I self-referred from an Amex Platinum cashback card to a Platinum card and the bonus worked.

JoeD likes this.
  12. Hermans

Hermans New Member

Can anyone confirm this will still work and the welcome bonus will be given?
    I just wanted to refer myself from Rewards Gold Card to Nectar/SPG/BA but I see in the TC that any welcome bonusses won't be given if you have or held a personal Amex within the last 24 months. I can't rememer I've seen this before.

JoeD likes this.
  13. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Hi Hermans - unfortunately Amex have changed the rules literally overnight: https://insideflyer.co.uk/2019/03/amex-armageddon-churning-sign-bonuses/

14. johnbrowell

johnbrowell Active Member

With the current loophole outlined in your blog post Joe, I am planning to self refer to the BA Premium Plus card, pay off a chunky holiday balance to hit the spend threshold immediately, then close the card and wait for 24 months to maybe do it again. Thanks for all your info.

JoeD likes this.
  15. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Cheers! Yep, sounds like the best plan given the new circumstances.