Amex Membership Rewards Once Gold Card is closed

Discussion in 'Miles & points via credit cards' started by johnbrowell, Sep 23, 2019.

1. johnbrowell

johnbrowell Member

My current Amex Gold Credit card reaches it's anniversary in early Jan 2020. Assuming I stick to my plan of cancelling it to avoid the £140 annual fee after the first year, that means I have no way of earning Membership Rewards. I'll be transferring my existing MR balance before closure.

Not a huge issue as I now have the BA Premium Plus card to collect as many Avios as possible on all our spending, and while I'm building the Avios pot that's not a problem. But I know many of you experts value the Membership Rewards due to their versatility.

So, I wanted to ask what other people do. Indeed do you try to earn some MR as well as Avios and Virgin MIles ? If so how ? And why ?

2. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

My strategy so far (post the amex sign up changes) has been to ignore the sign up bonuses completely - because I'm not going to wait 2 years between MR earning cards. Between a few referrals and normal spend, I still end up earning more points than if I waited to be eligible for sign up bonuses again. I also value the Plat benefits quite highly when I've got a busy travel period, so will probably get and cancel that 1 or 2 times a year, while keeping my gold when it's free and cancelling during one of the periods when I've got a Plat (and then replacing it).

The thing is, Avios and Virgin Miles are great (or at least can be), but there are other ways to earn them - and I tend to value things like Singapore Miles quite a bit more.

Focusing on 1 or 2 types of miles isn't a bad strategy at all though for most people (particularly if you're getting started, and given the amex changes), so I think I'd stick with your current plan.