Some links to products and partners on this website will earn an affiliate commission.
We have written much about airberlin recently. The German airline has filed for bankruptcy. Other oneworld carriers–mainly those with European hubs–have offered status match promotions for airberlin elites. We have covered them here:
- BRITISH AIRWAYS STATUS MATCH + BONUS AVIOS FOR AIR BERLIN TOPBONUS ELITES
- IBERIA PLUS IS OFFERING A STATUS MATCH TO AIR BERLIN TOPBONUS AND ‘MILES & MORE’ MEMBERS
- FINNAIR STATUS MATCH FOR AIRBERLIN TOPBONUS AND LUFTHANSA MILES & MORE ELITES
Russian airline S7 (Siberian Airlines) have now put on a status match opportunity, too. If you are an airberlin status holder this could be interesting. Unlike the matches above, S7 will give you award miles for flights that you took with S7 but credited to your airberlin topbonus account. All S7 legs between 1 October 2016 and 30 September 2017 are eligible! And your status will be matched too–after your next leg on S7. Here are the details:
To access the promotion page, click here.
It seems that if you currently hold oneworld Emerald status with airberlin, S7 will match you to top-tier oneworld Emerald. Remember that BA will only match you to oneworld Ruby (no lounge access). Iberia and Finnair will match you up to oneworld Sapphire (lounge access). Royal Jordanian and S7 will match you to oneworld Emerald if you currently hold that status with airberlin.
Bottom line – which match to go for?
- There is nothing that stops you from taking advantage of all of these.
- BA will only match you to oneworld Ruby, which does not give you lounge access, even if you currently hold an airberlin oneworld Sapphire or Emerald status. The BA promo is attractive however because you currently receive 4,500 for signing up to the BA Executive Club with a German address and another 4,500 Avios for flying for 4 legs on British Airways by 31 December. Who wouldn’t want 4,500 Avios–enough for a one-way short-haul leg–simply for signing up?
- If your current airberlin status gives you oneworld lounge access, I would also match to Finnair or Iberia Plus (if you are interested in Avios) to retain this privilege. Neither Finnair nor Iberia Plus match to top-tier oneworld Emerald.
- If you currently hold airberlin’s top-tier status (oneworld Emerald) and if your travel pattern includes the odd flight on Royal Jordanian or S7, I would definitely request a match to their respective top-tier status. Do note both S7 and Royal Jordanian do not offer an outright status match but a mini status challenge. Your status will only be matched after your first leg on Royal Jordanian or S7.
- The S7 offer is particularly attractive for those that credited S7 flights to airberlin topbonus. S7 will still give you award miles for all your S7 legs between 1 October 2016 and 30 September 2017.