Some links to products and partners on this website will earn an affiliate commission.
Last month I highlighted the IHG Mastercard Partner Rate, which offers savings of up to 15% if you book your hotel stays through it. I recently came across a different partner rate (this time via Railcard) that offers up to 20% off.
I’m not sure if the IHG Railcard Partner Rate has been updated, or if I just missed it before (I was aware of previous versions that seemed to be dead when I checked last month). If it has been updated, it raises the potential possibility of even more lucrative discount rates returning, so please let me know in the comments if you spot anything.
IHG Railcard Partner Rate Details
The terms for this one are pretty simple – but are slightly different to the Mastercard Rate, so make sure you pick the one that suits your needs best.
- You need to have a Railcard (any will do) and may be asked to show it at the hotel
- You must book at least 5 days in advance
- Stay must include a Thursday, Friday, Saturday or Sunday night
- Cancel for free up until 3 days before the stay
As long as the terms suit your requirements, yes.
I looked at a wide range of UK hotels and on some occasions the Railcard Partner Rate is actually even cheaper than non-refundable rates, despite allowing you to cancel for free up until 3 days before.
Here is a quick example comparing the standard member rate, the Mastercard rate and the Railcard rate at the Holiday Inn in Manchester:
Standard IHG One Rewards member rate – £92 for a flex rate (cancel 1 day before stay), £78 for non-refundable:
IHG Mastercard Partner Rate – £81 for a semi-flex rate (cancel 3 days before stay):
IHG Railcard Partner Rate – £76 for a semi-flex rate (cancel 3 days before stay):
As you can see, the Railcard Rate is cheaper than the directly comparable Mastercard Rate. It is also slightly cheaper than the totally non-refundable rate.
In this particular example, the only reason I can think why you wouldn’t book using the Railcard Rate is if you need to have the flexibility of cancelling up until the day before the stay – in which case your only option would be to pay £92.
It is always worth checking a range of different rate types, as sometimes there will be inconsistencies.
Generally though, the most important thing to consider is what your requirements for a particular stay are. If you happy with the restrictions that the Railcard Rate entails, then it is likely to be your best option.
Have you spotted any even better IHG discount rates that still work? – share them in the comments section below.
- The Railcard Offer (the “Offer”) is a discount of at least 20% off the Best Flexible Rate which is an unrestricted, non-qualified, non-discount rate at participating hotels.
- The Offer is available to current, eligible members of Railcard (the “Eligible Member”). The eligible member will be required to show proof of partner membership at check-in.
- There is no requirement to be an IHG® Rewards member to redeem this Offer. Membership of IHG® Rewards is free. See http://www.ihgrewardsclub.com for further information and to enrol.
- Railcard Holders are able to make bookings via the following link www.ihg.com/Railcard at participating IHG® Hotels and Resorts.
- Bookings must be made at least five (5) days in advance of arrival. Cancellation and no-show policy apply. One night deposit charged three days prior to arrival. Bookings must include a stay on at least one night from Thursday to Sunday.
- Offer is available to book from January 26th 2022 until December 31st 2022.
- Offer is only available at participating InterContinental Hotels Group hotels in select destinations around the world. Rates are limited and subject to availability.
- Rate details may vary by region and by participating hotel. Any unused components of the rate are non-refundable. No retroactive points will be awarded for nights stayed prior to IHG® Rewards enrollment. Blackout dates (days when the Offer may not be available) may apply at selected participating hotels. Rates are per room, per night, and extra person charges and rollaway bed charges may apply. Not applicable to group bookings (10 rooms or more). Other restrictions may apply. Rates do not include taxes, gratuities, or incidental charges, including food and beverages.
- Local government guidelines might require hotels to make any operational changes and you will be informed at the time of check in.
- IHG reserves the right to cancel, terminate or amend the Offer or these terms at any time with or without prior notification.Sections 11-15 apply if the Eligible Member is also an IHG Rewards Member.
- In case that two or more than two Eligible Members who are also IHG Rewards members check-in the same one room at the same time, Rewards points will only be credited to the account of one of such members who made the booking.
- IHG® Rewards points will be deposited to the Eligible Member’s IHG® Rewards account in 4-6 weeks.
- If any Eligible Member is found conducting fraud or misusing regarding this Offer, IHG® Reward has the full right and discretion to withdraw the rewards to such Eligible Member or even close the IHG® Rewards account of such Eligible Member.
- This Offer qualifies for IHG Rewards points but cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer, discount or promotion and has no cash value.
- This Offer is subject to standard IHG® Rewards program terms and conditions which can be found by clicking this link.