Some links to products and partners on this website will earn an affiliate commission.
Marriott Bonvoy has joined Hilton Honors in extending elite status for another year. If you hold Silver, Gold, Platinum, Titanium or Ambassador status, your status will automatically be extended until February 2023.
Although your status will be extended, you must still accumulate 50 and 75 nights to choose “Choice Benefits”. The most popular choices tend to be:
- 50 nights – 5 Suite Night Awards or 5 elite night credits
- 75 nights – 5 (more) Suite Night Awards or a free night certificate worth a maximum of 40,000 points
It is also worth remembering that Marriott Bonvoy has already given complimentary elite night credits based on your status at the start of 2021:
- Silver members received 5 complimentary elite nights
- Gold members received 13 complimentary elite nights
- Platinum members received 25 complimentary elite nights
- Titanium members received 38 complimentary elite nights
- Ambassador members received 50 complimentary elite nights
Add in 15 elite night credits for co-branded cardholders and it is hard to imagine that there are too many Marriott loyalists who haven’t managed to renew or upgrade their elite status already.
Suite Night Awards Extension
If you have any Suite Night Awards due to expire on 31 December, 2021, these will be extended until 30 June, 2022.
This includes any SNAs from 2020 or earlier that were already extended.
Free Night Awards Extension
If you have any free night awards due to expire before June 2022 – such as the 25k point free night award that you can earn with the Marriott American Express – these will also now expire on June 30, 2022.
For Marriott Bonvoy members living in countries whose harsher lockdowns kept them from travelling in 2021, this is great news. For those of us who had little difficulty extending or upgrading our Marriott elite status, this news is irrelevant, with the cynic in me assuming that it is intended to mask the other major Marriott news of the day…