Some links to products and partners on this website will earn an affiliate commission.
If you currently have Gold or Silver status with British Airways Executive Club – or another similar level of status with another Oneworld or Skyteam programme – you can status match to TAP Miles & Go and receive one year of Star Alliance Gold status.
Although all 26 airlines might not survive the coronavirus crisis, your main interest in TAP Miles & Go status might be to enjoy the benefits of Star Alliance Gold on partner airlines, not TAP itself…
Applying for a TAP Miles & Go Status Match
Full details can be found on the Miles & Go website – click here.
You must be a new member of Miles&Go (or have recently signed up – i.e. in 2020). If you have an older account, you might want to forget your login details and start over with a new account.
The process is pretty simple.
How Does it Work?
Miles & Go will notify you within 30 days whether your match has been accepted.
However, that’s not the end of it. You will then have merely 10 DAYS to do ONE of the following:
- Purchase at least 4,000 Miles&Go miles
- Join Club TAP Miles&Go at one of the four membership levels
Club Basic is the cheapest option at €99. (approximately £90)
I can’t emphasize this enough! Do NOT sign up for Club TAP Miles & Go before your status match application is approved!
Within 15 days of your sign-up to Club TAP Miles & Go, your account should finally be updated to reflect your new level of status.
What Do I Get With Club TAP Miles&Go Basic?
- Registration bonus miles – 2,000
- Monthly bonus miles – 1,000
- Monthly status miles – 50
- Renewal bonus miles – 4,000 (double registration).
- Additional Bonus Miles credit on TAP flights (percentage calculated on the number of miles accumulated and credited to the flight in question, this credit excludes the value of miles earned as a status bonus) – 15% up to a maximum of 5,000 bonus miles during the duration of the plan.
In fairly simple terms, you’d receive 2,000 miles for signing up and 1,000 miles per month thereafter. In essence, 14,000 miles for your €99. (be careful to turn off the automatic renewal)
What Does Star Alliance Gold Get Me?
- Lounge access when flying in any cabin (in major hubs, you might find that the Star Alliance Gold lounge is not quite as nice as the Business Class or First Class / Senator lounges)
- Extra baggage
- Fast track security and boarding
- Priority check-in (i.e. Business Class check-in desks)
In my experience, Star Alliance Gold does NOT get you free seat selection on partner airlines.
Renewing Your Star Alliance Gold Status
To renew your Miles & Go status, you have 12 months to:
- Earn 25,000 status miles
- Fly 4 times on TAP Air Portugal (miles-earning fares)
Is TAP Miles & Go Worthwhile?
You need a truly RIDICULOUS number of miles to receive a reward ticket. For example, a Business Class return reward on TAP – i.e. connecting in Lisbon – to North America would cost you 200,000 miles!!
(as a comparison, it would only cost me 90,000 miles from Turkish Airlines Miles & Smiles to fly to North America (return) in Business Class.)
So… by all means pay your €99/ £90 for a year of lounge access and fast track perks, but DON’T make Miles & Go your main Star Alliance loyalty programme, unless you truly don’t care at all for the value of your miles…