Some links to products and partners on this website will earn an affiliate commission.
Until Sunday 16th February, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club is offering a bonus of up to 50% on miles purchases.
“As a Flying Club member, you can enjoy up to 50%* bonus miles when you Buy Miles. And even better, we’ve raised your miles purchase limit to 150,000**, so you can get the miles you need, for the rewards you want.”
How does the bonus work?
The bonus you receive depends on the number of miles you buy. To get the full 50% bonus, you need to purchase at least 101,000 miles (not including the bonus miles you would receive on top).
“When you buy 5,000-9,999 miles = 15% bonus miles, 10,000-29,999 miles = 20% bonus miles, 30,000-69,999 miles = 30% bonus miles, 70,000-100,000 miles = 40% bonus miles, 101,000-150,000 = 50% bonus miles.”
If you purchased the maximum number of miles you are allowed to buy – 225,000 (150,000 + 75,000 bonus) miles – it would cost you £2,265:
Your cost per mile would therefore be precisely 1.006p each.
~1p each is a fair price for Virgin Flying Club Miles. As ever, I wouldn’t recommend buying them speculatively, but with a specific use in mind you could do very well indeed.
For example, Craig wrote an excellent article on how to redeem Virgin Miles for ANA First Class to Japan. If you bought the 120,000 miles required for a return in First Class for 1p each in the sale, your total cost including taxes/surcharges would be about £1600, which is a very good price indeed!
It is sometimes possible to engineer ways of buying Virgin Miles for less, but the simplicity of this offer and the fact you can buy a large quantity of miles in one go makes it worth considering.
Are you tempted to take advantage of the current bonus?
1. Applicable Buy Miles purchases made through Points.com between 10th February and midnight GMT 16th February 2020 inclusive will be eligible to receive bonus miles at these levels:
*When you buy 5,000-9,999 miles = 15% bonus miles, 10,000-29,999 miles = 20% bonus miles, 30,000-69,999 miles = 30% bonus miles, 70,000-100,000 miles = 40% bonus miles, 101,000-150,000 = 50% bonus miles. The Bonus Miles will be credited at the point of purchase and will appear on the members’ account with 24 hours.
2. **A member can purchase a total of 100,000 miles each calendar year, in increments of 1,000 miles. Between 10th February and midnight GMT 16th February 2020 a member can purchase a total of 150,000 (for the calendar year), in increments of 1,000 miles. If a member purchases 150,000 miles during the offer period they cannot purchase any more until 1st January 2021.
3. Members will have the right to cancel any purchases of miles for up to 14 days after the date of purchase provided that none of the purchased miles have been redeemed. If any of the purchased miles have been redeemed then members will not be entitled to a refund for any of the purchased miles including those that have not been redeemed. Once the 14 day cooling off period has expired any miles purchased and received by members are non-refundable and non-transferable, except as expressly permitted by the terms and conditions of Flying Club.
4. All Buy Miles transactions are subject to a £15/$25 transaction fee.
5. Buy Miles Terms and Conditions apply, and can be found on Virgin Atlantic website: virginatlantic.com/gb/en/flying-club/miles/earn-miles/buy-miles.html