Some links to products and partners on this website will earn an affiliate commission.
Alaska Mileage Plan is back with another ‘Flash Sale’ – this time offering a bonus of up to 40% when you purchase Mileage Plan Miles.
If you max out the promo and buy 84,000 miles, you’ll pay ~£1,375 ($1,773.75):
That works out at about 1.64p per mile. The cheapest that I can remember Alaska Miles being on sale for is ~1.58p per mile, so this is only slightly more expensive. I’ve also seen reports elsewhere that some members have been targeted with a 50% bonus, which would potentially bring the cost per mile down to ~1.53p per mile – a truly fantastic price.
I wouldn’t necessarily be tempted to buy speculatively at these prices, but if you have a high-value use for Alaska Miles in mind (there are lots), it could make sense to take advantage – just make sure the award space you want is available first!
A one way Business Class flight between Europe and Hong Kong with Cathay Pacific requires just 42,500 Alaska Miles, for example, so even if you were ‘only’ targeted for the 40% bonus, the miles would set you back just ~£697. Obviously, there would be taxes to pay on top of that, but it’s a great price for a one way flight. If you are looking for a return, you should definitely check out the current Lufthansa/SWISS sale instead.
If you are in the market for Alaska Miles, this is a decent price. Unless you have an immediate use in mind though, I wouldn’t be in too much of a rush – I’m sure we’ll see similar (or better) sales again soon and Alaska Mileage Plan has been known to make changes without giving notice.
- Transactions must be completed between 6:00 AM PST November 14, 2019 and 11:59 PM PST December 23, 2019 to be eligible for bonus miles.
- Miles are purchased from Points.com Inc. for a cost of $27.50 per 1,000 miles, plus a 7.5% Federal Excise Tax*, and GST/HST for Canadian residents.
- Miles are non-refundable and do not count toward MVP and MVP/Gold status.
- You may purchase and gift Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles in increments of 1,000 miles to a maximum of 60,000 miles per transaction.
- Your Mileage Plan account may be credited up to a maximum total of 150,000 miles acquired through Points.com in a calendar year, whether purchased by you or gifted to you. MVP, MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75K Mileage Plan member accounts have no annual limit on the number of miles which may be purchased or gifted through Points.com.
- Offer is subject to change and all terms and conditions of the Mileage Plan Program apply.
- *Points.com Inc. is collecting Federal Excise Tax on behalf of Alaska Airlines Inc.
- Alaska Airlines Inc. has the obligation to collect Federal Excise Tax and remit the tax to the appropriate government agency.