Some links to products and partners on this website will earn an affiliate commission.
Have you ever travelled with your family and regretted the fact that your partner / children were accumulating status miles that they don’t really need? Perhaps you wish there were a way to have all of those status miles end up in your account. Well… Turkish Airlines Miles & Smiles is running an interesting promotion as part of the ongoing celebration of its 30th anniversary. It allows members to earn double or triple status miles, simply by booking flights as a group of 2 or 3.
Not only would you, as the lead traveller, receive double or triple status miles, but your travel companions would as well! There is a downside, however, as these additional miles are only valid for elite status qualification purposes – they aren’t redeemable miles that you could use for award flights.
How Would it Work?
Imagine that three travel hackers – myself, Joe and Miles – decided to fly together from London to Istanbul and back, in Economy Class (paying a semi-flexible fare that would earn 100% mileage credit). One of us would book the tickets under a single PNR.
Because the flights between Istanbul and London cover a distance of 1,547 miles, ALL THREE of us would earn 4,641 status miles for the outgoing leg and another 4,641 status miles for the return leg, for a total of 9,282 status miles.
To earn the equivalent of Star Alliance Gold status with Turkish Airlines, one needs to accumulate 40,000 status miles within a 12-month period. You would receive two years of Star Alliance Gold status. Requalifying for “Elite” is even easier, only requiring 25,000 status miles. So, by travelling with friends or family… you could accumulate a sizable portion of the status miles you require…
Terms and Conditions
- The offer is valid for tickets issued between 17/09/2019 – 30/09/2019, with travel dates between 17/09/2019 – 31/10/2019.
- The offer is valid on one-way or round trip international flights in Economy Class or Business Class from/to Turkey and from/to Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Germany, Hungary, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Poland, Switzerland, Slovakia, Belarus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway, Russia, Sweden, Ireland, United Kingdom, Scotland, France, Greece, Malta, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovinia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro, Moldova, Romania, Serbia, Slovenia, Ukraine, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Bahrain, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, United Arab Emirates, Yemen, Algeria, Egypt, Morocco, Sudan, Tunisia, Eritrea.
- Two members in the same reservation number (PNR) will be credited with extra 1 Status Miles, 3 members in the same reservation number (PNR) will be credited with extra 2 Status Miles. Earnings will be credited both for economy and business class tickets.
- In case of 4 or more members in the same reservation number (PNR), earnings will be limited to only 1 extra Status Miles per each member.
- Extra Miles earned will be added collectively to member accounts by the end of the November.
- This offer is only valid for Miles&Smiles members. To benefit from the offer, non-members must first register to Miles&Smiles Program.
- To benefit from the offer, Miles&Smiles membership number will be requested and all flights must be registered to Miles&Smiles member’s account. Registrations after flights will not be credited within the special offer.
- This campaign cannot be combined with any other Turkish Airlines campaign.
- A Miles&Smiles member can only use acquired Status Miles to keep or upgrade the membership status. No additional bonus miles will be awarded besides the bonus miles awarded from related flights. Only Status Miles will be earned.
- The related promotion is not valid on corporate tickets, group tickets and special passenger segments(seaman, cruise, student/youth, medical etc.) tickets.
- Turkish Airlines reserves the right to take legal action against the related parties found to have contravened any rules.
- Turkish Airlines reserves the right to change terms and conditions, definitions and other information pertaining to the special offer and to cancel the offer at any time.
This is an intriguing promotion. By design it should attract some additional revenue from M&S members travelling on holidays with their family. (or from travel hackers joining together to mileage run) If only it were possible to fly long-haul and/or to earn bonus redeemable miles as well…
Click here to reach the landing page for this promotion.