Some links to products and partners on this website will earn an affiliate commission.
Last month, Lufthansa offered 3,000 bonus Miles & More for a stay booked through their hotel portal. The promotion is running again, though you will now earn 4,000 bonus miles per stay on top of the minimum 1,000 miles per night. And existing members of Miles & More Hotels qualify too, so if you got in on the promotion last month, you can bag the bonus miles again!
Let’s have a look at the terms and conditions:
- You must book through the Miles & More hotel portal here between 1 and 30 June 2017. You can stay whenever.
- There’s a minimum spend requirement of 100 € to trigger the bonus and you must book a non-refundable/prepaid rate.
- Both new and existing members qualify, one bonus per member.
The minimum spend requirement is new, but this promotion is still generous. Let’s assume you value a Miles & More point at 1 eurocent. You would earn at least 50€ back in points (5,000 miles). Get a room just above the 100 € threshold and you are looking at almost a 50% rebate on your room rate.
I’ve just taken advantage of this myself to book a night in Toronto in July. I found plenty of options just above the 100 € spend requirement:
Given that you only need 17,500 miles for a one-way business class redemption from New York to, say, Los Angeles on United’s fully-flat transcontinental service, this can be a nice way to top up your balance to finally redeem that orphan stash that’s been sitting in your account for some time…
Things to consider:
- You will be billed in euros, so use a card with no FX fee
- These bookings count as third-party bookings, so will not earn points in the hotel’s own loyalty scheme and you are unlikely to receive hotel status benefits.
- Miles & More points expire exactly 36 months after the individual miles were earned, irrespective of future account activity. (Taking out the free UK Miles & More credit card stops all your miles from expiring). Miles & More is not a Membership Rewards transfer partner, so topping up your account in the UK can be tricky. That said, you can transfer Heathrow Rewards points and SPG points into Miles & More, and there are some fantastic redemptions to be had, as I have discussed here.
- Compare prices before you book. You might well find a cheaper rate by booking direct (which could earn you cashback on top). If it’s not your own cash you’re spending, then this is a fantastic promotion to earn some rewards for yourself.