Some links to products and partners on this website will earn an affiliate commission.
You can currently earn some pretty chunky Avios bonuses through booking hotels with Kaligo.
You can earn 5,000 bonus Avios for spending £500+ or 10,000 bonus Avios for spending £1,000+ and it’s important to note that the spend thresholds are cumulative – the £500 /£1,000 totals can be reached over as many transactions as you like. You can only earn one of the bonuses though, not both!
To get the bonus Avios you need to book by 11 July 2017 and stay by 31 December 2017. That’s a pretty generous window, particularly given the fact that multiple bookings all qualify towards the spend total.
As well as the bonus Avios, you will also earn the standard 5-20 Avios per £1 that Kaligo offers for hotel bookings.
The bonus offer is available to both new and existing Kaligo members.
Sounds good – what’s the downside to booking hotels with Kaligo?
Ah yes, there’s usually something…
Basically, the rates Kaligo charges are almost always higher than you can find elsewhere – sometimes a lot higher. BUT – it can still make sense to book with Kaligo.
Let’s look at a couple of examples:
Putting aside the bonus Avios for a moment, at the Hotel Negresco in Nice you could earn 17,400 Avios if you pay £616, or you could just pay £333 booking with a different site.
You would effectively be paying £283 for 17,400 Avios (~1.6p per Avios), which doesn’t seem remotely attractive to me.
On the other hand, there are times when booking hotels with Kaligo can make a lot of sense:
At the Hotel Campanile in Nice, you could collect 1,700 Avios if you paid £83, or you could pay £80 booking elsewhere.
In this example, you’d be paying £3 for 1,700 Avios (~0.176p per Avios) which looks like a great deal!
Remember that both of these examples are without factoring in any bonus Avios. Say that you booked 6 nights at hotels with similar pricing (and standard Avios earning) to the Campanile Hotel over the course of the bonus period and ended up spending exactly £500, you would end up with 10,200 standard Avios (6 x 1,700) + 5,000 bonus Avios. 15,200 Avios in total for ‘overpaying’ by just £18 in total for your 6 nights seems great!
If you value Avios at ~1p each then it’s effectively a ~30% rebate in this example. That’s obviously pretty good, but it’s a bit of a best case scenario. Most of the time your sums are unlikely to work out that neatly in real life.
It’s all worth remembering that it’s quite easy to get a 15%-20%+ discount/rebate most of the time through cashback sites and Hotels.com etc, so make sure you do your calculations carefully.
If you are booking chain hotels (Hilton, Marriott, etc) through Kaligo you won’t earn hotel Points or status credits and probably won’t receive status benefits. Booking direct (through a cashback site) might make more sense – particularly if there’s a decent promotion on like the current IHG Accelerate promo.
There is potential value to be had here by booking hotels with Kaligo during the bonus promotion, but it isn’t a ‘slam-dunk’ by any means. Always compare prices on hotelscombined / trivago etc, and consider the discounts/rebates you can get by booking with other sites.
Booking hotels with Kaligo bonus Avios terms
- This promotion is only open to Eligible Participants. An Eligible Participant is a person aged 18 or over and is a British Airways Executive Club (“BAEC”) Member (membership terms and conditions apply).
- By taking part in this promotion, Eligible Participants confirm that they accept these Terms and Conditions.
- To be eligible for this promotion, members must enrol with Kaligo.com at www.kaligo.com/ba-avios-promo using their email address, select British Airways Executive Club Avios as their earning preference when making the necessary [advanced] reservation.
- All Kaligo.com terms and conditions apply. See full terms and conditions on kaligo.com/terms .
- Offer available for new bookings made between May 12th, 2017 and July 11th, 2017 for stays from May 12th, 2017 until the December 31st, 2017 (“Promotional Period”). All hotels and rates offered by Kaligo are eligible.
- The 5,000 or 10,000 bonus Avios offer is applicable for stays booked and completed at all hotels at any rate as long as members spend a minimum of £500 or £1000 respectively. The 25% more Avios benefit is also applicable at any rate as long as checkout is made with an eligible British Airways Credit Card issued from Royal Bank of Canada, Russian Standard Bank, ABSA Bank, First Carribean Bank, Butterfield, Dah Sing Bank, Commercial Bank of Kuwait, Entercard and Cornercard. A stay is defined as consecutive nights spent at the same Participating Property, i.e. from check-in to check-out irrespective of the length of stay.
- Offer may be applied to one standard guest room per stay, Eligible Participant, based on double occupancy during the Promotional Period. There is no maximum on the number of stays per Eligible Participant during the Promotional Period.
- Offer is subject to availability, advanced reservation is required. BAEC membership number must be quoted at the time of booking.
- Reservations can be made online at www.kaligo.com/ba-avios-promo .
- Bookings need to be guaranteed by advance payments.
- Bonus Avios is non-redeemable for cash.
- Bonus Avios is issued subject to BAEC Terms and Conditions http://www.britishairways.com/travel/ec-terms-and-conditions/public/en_gb
- Bonus Avios will be credited to the Eligible Participant’s BAEC account within 4-6 weeks of the stay.
- Base Avios of 5-20 Avios per £1 spent will be earned for each paid stay during the Promotional Period in addition to the 25% more Avios benefit. Total base Avios plus 25% more Avios benefit will be added as a separate calculation to the 5,000 or 10,000 Bonus Avios to calculate the total Avios earned.
- This offer is non-transferable and cannot be used in conjunction with any other British Airways or Kaligo offer or promotion.
- The promoters reserve the right to withdraw the promotion or amend these terms and conditions without prior notice at any time, for whatever reason, and without any liability to customers for doing so.
- By taking part in this promotion, participants agree to the personal data they supply being used by the Kaligo or its agents or subcontractors to administer this promotion, who will only use the information provided for the purpose of administering the promotion.
- Promotional materials form part of these terms and conditions. This promotion shall be governed by the laws of England & Wales and the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts.
- This promotion is provided by Kaligo Pte. Ltd and having its registered office at Science Park Road, #02-01, 117628 Singapore and British Airways Plc having its registered office atWaterside, PO Box 365, Harmondsworth, UB7 0GB (Registered No. 1777777 England). For full Kaligo terms and conditions visit kaligo.com/terms. Booking Hotels with Kaligo