Some links to products and partners on this website will earn an affiliate commission.
You have probably heard of SPG Moments – it offers the opportunity to trade SPG Starpoints (and therefore Amex MR Points too) for unique experiences that you wouldn’t usually be able to buy for cash.
What you might not know though is just how amazing some of these deals can be. I was flicking through the latest offers today and came across some absolute crackers! Some of the offers are auctions and some (usually gig tickets with hospitality) have a fixed price.
SPG doesn’t always do a great job on the titles for the offers, so can end up really underselling them. Let’s take a look at some current examples:
Gain Insider Access at WTA Taiwan Open – current highest bid: 3,000 Starpoints.
This is (admittedly) a bit niche from a UK perspective as you would need to get to Taiwan by Monday, but remember that Starwood is a global programme with lots of members in Asia and the value is off the chart if you are a tennis fan!
“Insider Access” sounds fine, but what the package actually includes is incredible:
- Go behind the scenes at the WTA Taiwan Open. Ride on a shuttle with the players to the tournament venue
- then get backstage access to the player resting area, cafeteria, broadcasting room and more.
- You’ll even get a private tennis session with pro Elina Svitolina(!!!!!).
- Oh, and you’ll have court-side booth tickets and VIP lounge access to cap off a full day of tennis fun.
That’s for you and a guest by the way!
Court side tickets with VIP Lounge access must be worth at least £100 each for an entertaining day out, even if you’re not really into tennis.
Most of other stuff you just simply can’t buy and everyone would value it differently. For those of you who don’t follow tennis, it’s definitely worth me pointing out that Elina Svitolina isn’t just some random tennis “pro” – she’s currently ranked as the 13th best female player in the world and at just 22 years old is likely to crack the top 10 pretty soon.
There are people who would spend thousands for a lesson with someone ranked that highly.
There are two packages available, the highest bids are just 3,000 Starpoints and the bidding ends tomorrow.
An exclusive scone baking class at The Gritti Epicurean School with hotel stay – current highest bid: 30,000 Starpoints.
Not a great title, but what you receive is worth a lot more than the current 30,000 Starpoint bid – and there’s only a couple of days left:
- Two (2) nights at The Gritti Palace in a Giglio Prestige room with daily buffet breakfast, checking in 6 February, 2017 and checking out 8 February, 2017
- Visit of the Rialto fruit market with Keith and Lynne Allan
- Jam-making session for two (2) with the Keith and Lynne Allan at The Gritti Epicurean School
- Light lunch for two (2) at Club del Doge Restaurant
- Scone-baking class for two (2) at The Gritti Epicurean School
- Afternoon tea for two (2) with scone tasting at the Longhi Bar
The Gritti Palace in Venice looks absolutely stunning – two nights would normally set you back 60,000 Starpoints (or ~ £1,000+) so the current high bid is effectively half price. The SPG Moments package also includes Breakfast and an upgraded ‘Giglio Prestige’ room, easily worth another ~ £200.
I’m not totally convinced by the jam making, but lunch and afternoon tea sound good too!
Savor a private dinner with Guy Savoy in Paris – current highest bid: 1,000 Starpoints.
Decent title this time and there’s still a few weeks left to bid, but there are 7 Packages available, all still at the starting bid of 1,000 Starpoints.
Restaurant Guy Savoy has held 3 Michelin Stars for about 15 years and let’s just say you wouldn’t normally expect much change from £1,000 per person for a tasting menu with wine pairing.
You and your guest will enjoy a welcome reception and private dinner with Guy Savoy in the epicenter of taste and cooking, Paris. The night includes:
- Champagne Reception
- Kitchen tour guided by Chef Savoy
- Tasting menu with wine-pairing
- Signed cookbook, “Best of Guy Savoy.”
If a ‘normal’ dinner costs about £2000 for a couple, I dread to think how much a private dinner with Chef Savoy would cost, if paying cash!
SPG Moments can provide astonishing value. Check new offers regularly and read the details not the titles!