Some links to products and partners on this website will earn an affiliate commission.
It looked fairly simple, with BA helpfully supplying a worked example showing that, “If you were to buy a World Traveller (economy) return ticket in K,L,M,N,S or V class from London Heathrow to Los Angeles, you would normally earn 5,442 Avios. With our Triple Avios offer you would earn 16,326 Avios”.
As you can see below, those are the fare codes for ‘Economy Low’ and normally earn 50% of flown Miles.
Return flights between London Heathrow and Los Angeles clock in at just under 11,000 Miles in total, so 50% of flown Miles is indeed 5,442, and BA then triple that in their example to show that you would earn 16,236 Avios during the current promotion.
The promotion page also explains that to calculate how many Avios you would earn for any flight yourself, you should just use the avios calculator to see how many “you would normally earn and then multiple (sic) that by 3”.
Given how straightforward all the above seemed, we believed the triple Avios earning rate for each cabin and fare class to work out as below:
- Economy Lowest: 75% of flown Miles
- Economy Low: 150% of flown Miles
- Economy Flexible: 300% of flown Miles
- Premium Economy Lowest: 300% of flown Miles
- Premium Economy Flexible: 450% of flown Miles
- Business Lowest: 450% of flown Miles
- Business Flexible: 750% of flown Miles
- First Lowest:750% of flown Miles
- First Flexible: 900% of flown Miles
Great offer, nice and simple, no hidden nasties – or maybe not…
Our good friend Raffles over at the always excellent HeadForPoints posted this morning that he had been having a closer look at the Ts and Cs, and now believed that triple Avios actually only meant triple base Avios, without cabin ‘bonus’.
When he posted, things still looked pretty contradictory with the following two statements apparently appearing on the BA site:
“8) Eligible Participants who book and complete their journeys on Qualifying Flights within the Promotional Period will qualify for a triple Avios bonus based on cabin of travel.
9) Eligible Participants will receive triple Avios Points before any cabin or tier bonuses on all tickets except reward flights.”
Since then, the terms seem to have been changed, as Point 8 now just states:
8) Eligible Participants who book and complete their journeys on Qualifying Flights within the Promotional Period will qualify for a triple Avios bonus.
We have reached out to BA to try and get clarification about this and will update as soon as we have it!
If BA really have changed the terms after the promotion launched, that is not a good look…