Some links to products and partners on this website will earn an affiliate commission.
There’s a wealth of “points earning” credit cards out there, and we’re often asked which we consider to be the best for someone new to the world of airline miles and hotel points. Given, among other options, the number of American Express bonus points currently being offered on various cards, it can be quite daunting for a beginner to work out which offers best value. Our answer is always the same – and we’d recommend it without hesitation to both new starters and seasoned travel hackers: It’s the Amex Gold.
American Express bonus points aplenty, and free too – why we love the Amex Gold card
The American Express Gold credit card is widely seen as one of the very best value “travel-related” credit cards available in the UK.
The reasons are clear:
- It remains free for the first year, and you can cancel without quibble at the end of this year.
- If you spend £2,000 on it in your first 3 months, you will get 20,000 Amex Membership Rewards Points. These convert to 20,000 airline miles in a number of schemes, including Avios. 20,000 Avios will get you a return flight from the UK to destinations like Moscow, Istanbul and Malta – or one way in Business Class.
- You get two free airport lounge visits each year with the card.
If you want to earn 22,000 American Express bonus points (rather than 20,000), sign up to the card via this link.
Need an easier life? Consider the BA Amex
- it’s free at the standard level
- it offers 6,000 Avios for a lower spend of £1,000 in the first three months
- it allows you to get a “buy one get one free” voucher on BA flights – and we show you how to make the most of this here.
While £1000 is a lower spend target in 3 months, 6,000 Avios is considerably less enticing than 22,000 Membership Rewards Points, which among many other things can be redeemed for 22,000 Avios.
What’s your favourite travel-related card in the UK?