Some links to products and partners on this website will earn an affiliate commission.
At the end of last year, we flagged a very generous IHG Hotels offer, where you could earn a free night certificate after 2 stays at IHG’s new (former ‘Principal’) hotels in the UK
After spending a little bit of time working out how best to take advantage of the offer myself, I realised that it was probably even more lucrative than we first thought, because it looked like it could be stacked with other IHG offers: ‘Reward Nights Faster‘ and the MasterCard Partner Rate.
The one unknown at the time was whether stays at the new hotels would actually count towards the brand/stay/etc bonus points targets that make up the Reward Nights Faster promo, because the ‘Principal Hotels’ brand wasn’t explicitly included in the terms and conditions (and The Met Hotel in Leeds is technically brandless at the moment).
I can now confirm that stays at The Met Hotel (and therefore at the other relevant hotels too) does indeed count towards the Reward Nights Faster bonuses, as you can see below:
In case you missed it before and have no idea what I’m waffling on about, here’s a quick recap of the various offer details and how to stack them:
“It’s on us. Travel in the UK and experience the best Britain has to offer. When you spend two nights at any of our stunning new properties listed, you’ll get a free* night (*room rate only) at one of over 5,000 IHG hotels worldwide.
So, whether you decide to spend a couple of nights here or two nights there, you’ll still get a free night anywhere.“
The eligible properties are:
- Kimpton Fitzroy London
- The Met Hotel, Leeds
- Principal York
- Principal Manchester
- voco™ St David’s, Cardiff
- Principal Edinburgh Charlotte Square
- Principal Edinburgh George Street
- Blythswood Square Hotel, Glasgow
- Wotton House, near Dorking, Surrey
What do I need to do to get a free night certificate?
- Register for the offer here.
- Book 2 nights at the selected UK properties between 17 December 2018 – 31 March 2019 (note that these DO NOT need to be consecutive nights. Booking 2 separate stays is absolutely fine).
- Redeem your free night before 31 October 2019. Free night can be redeemed at over 5,000 hotels
At the time I noted that The Met Hotel in Leeds had some very good rates available – particularly single rooms on Fridays and Mondays, starting at ~£40. Even if you had no need to actually stay in Leeds, you could therefore potentially ‘mattress run” to earn a free night certificate for ~£80, which you could then use at any IHG hotel in the world – potentially saving you £100s.
1) IHG has since launched its new general promotion, ‘ Reward Nights Faster’ which stacks nicely with the free night certificate offer. Everyone is targeted with different offers, but I imagine most people should at least be able to get double points (and perhaps something much better) from their stays.
2) I discovered that my favourite regular hotel discount – the IHG Mastercard Partner Rate (full details) – applies to stays at The Met Hotel, despite it being new to the IHG booking system. The partner rate is open to everyone and knocks up to 30% off the price of IHG hotels in Europe when you book 21+ days in advance.
At one point you could book Sunday nights at The Met for as little as £28, though starting rates appear to have crept up to £34.65 now:
That still means you can have a couple of staycations in Leeds and earn a free night certificate to use at any IHG hotel in the world (including expensive Intercontinentals in London, New York, Paris, Hong Kong, etc) for under £70!
This is truly great offer if you fancy a trip to Leeds, or can mattress run without too much inconvenience.
Anybody bumped into a fellow ‘travel hacker’ at The Met yet???