Some links to products and partners on this website will earn an affiliate commission.
British Airways has just announced a rather decent sounding 50% Avios redemption sale. Before you get too excited, I need to point out that this only applies to long haul Economy redemptions – but there is still some potential value to be had here.
You can get the discount on travel from London Heathrow or Gatwick to over 90 destinations between 4 January – 30 June 2018, but you must book by 17th December 2017.
Examples include (note that the Avios prices listed are for RETURN flights):
As you can see, some of those look pretty attractive. You can book one way flights in either direction (to or from London) for half the amounts.
Sadly, the taxes and surcharges required aren’t also discounted by 50%, but remain stubbornly high. Using Avios for long haul Economy redemptions is usually a bad idea because those fees are so high – sometimes even more than buying a normal ticket, amazingly enough.
One way from London to Boston is a superb 6,500 Avios, but a brutal £247.31 in taxes and surcharges:
Starting from airports which have low taxes and tight laws on surcharges can lead to some superb bargains though, for example Hong Kong to London one way:
If you value Avios at ~1p each, that’s effectively a one-way ticket from Hong Kong to London for about £130 – not bad!
Using Avios for long haul Economy redemptions is far from a no brainer even with the 50% avios redemption sale – always check your other options. That said, there are definitely circumstances where you could do very well here, just be a bit careful.
Avios redemption sale terms
- Book directly with British Airways between 30 November and 17 December 2017 for travel between 4 January and 30 June 2018.
- This offer applies to both peak and off-peak Avios prices and can be booked by any British Airways Executive Club Member with a sufficient Avios balance.
- The required amount of Avios for reward flights in the World Traveller Cabin, travelling to or from London Heathrow or London Gatwick will be reduced by 50%.
- The full airline taxes, fees and Carrier charges will apply per person, per flight.
- Discounts are available on direct one-way and return British Airways operated flights in the World Traveller cabin only.
- All flights are subject to Executive Club Terms and Conditions and British Airways Conditions of Carriage.
- Reward flights are strictly subject to availability which may be very limited or not available at all on some routes including Sydney, Santiago de Chile, Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Buenos Aires, San Jose (Costa Rica) and Grenada.
- Reward flights may not be available on some dates.
- No registration is required.
- Not to be combined with any other offer.