Some links to products and partners on this website will earn an affiliate commission.
Regular readers will know that each month the frequent flyer scheme for Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss etc – Miles & More – offers ‘Mileage Bargains’. These are heavily discounted award tickets in economy and business class to certain destinations. Because of the relatively high taxes and surcharges on economy redemptions, I will primarily look at business class options from the UK. Those in the regions will be pleased to learn that Miles & More long-haul redemptions already include your feeder leg to Frankfurt or Munich free of charge.
Miles & More Mileage Bargain Promotion October 2017
Book between 2 and 1 November 2017, travel between 1 February 2018 and 15 March 2018
Book on the dedicated offer page here
Business Class return flights for 70,000 Miles & More points (usually 135,000 points!):
- London Heathrow to Shanghai, Beijing, Qingdao, Nanjing, Hong Kong
- London City to Shanghai, Beijing, Qingdao, Nanjing, Hong Kong
- Manchester to Shanghai, Beijing, Qingdao, Nanjing, Hong Kong
- Birmingham to Shanghai, Beijing, Qingdao, Nanjing, Hong Kong
- Edinburgh to Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing
Business Class return flights for 55,000 Miles & More points (usually 105,000 points!):
- London Heathrow to Washington Dulles, Boston, Detroit
- London City to Washington Dulles, Boston
- Manchester to Washington Dulles, Boston, Detroit
- Birmingham to Washington Dulles, Boston, Detroit
Here’s a dummy booking for Edinburgh to Hong Kong via Frankfurt on the Lufthansa 747-8i:
Yes, you will pay a ludicrous 589 GBP in taxes and surcharges, but you will only pay 70,000 miles. How does this compare to BA? I would argue favourably. BA will ‘only’ charge you 355 GBP in taxes and surcharges, but you will require 150,000 Avios on off-peak and 180,000 Avios on peak dates for a return business class redemption from Heathrow to Hong Kong. And this doesn’t even include your feeder leg from Edinburgh, which would cost you another 15,550 Avios on an off-peak and 18,000 Avios on a peak date in Club (plus 45 GBP in taxes).