Some links to products and partners on this website will earn an affiliate commission.
Starwood Preferred Guest has long offered a programme called “Moments”, which gives members the chance to spend their points on rather unique travel experiences. This programme obviously works fantastically well for SPG, since Marriott introduced their own version shortly after the merger closed. (if I recall correctly)
Sometimes SPG does a really poor job of marketing these packages properly, however, especially those that include a free hotel stay.
I was reminded via email today about a soon-to-close auction package I bid for about a month ago.
The Palau Guell and Trencadis Workshop experience includes:
- Illy coffee for two (2) at Le Méridien Barcelona Longitude Bar
- A tour for two (2) of the Palau Güell
- Sparkling cocktails for two (2)
- A Trencadis workshop for two (2) at Le Méridien Barcelona Hub on 2 December 2017
- One (1) night for two (2) in a Deluxe Premium Room at Le Méridien Barcelona, checking in Saturday, 2 December 2017, and checking out Sunday, 3 December 2017
Why do I highlight the last point? Because the cost of a regular room for that December night is this:
The current bids on the SPG Moments experience?
- Package 1 – 10,500 Starpoints (yours truly)
- Package 2 – 10,000 Starpoints (none)
The package has been available for a month, and I remain the only bidder. Yet the package costs 50% of the “value” of the room night itself (although I would usually pay 242 euros + tax instead of 20,000 Starpoints). And it comes attached with a interesting fun day in Barcelona for the winner and a companion.
And as an added bonus, if any reader should happen to win Package 2 and I’m not out-bid on Package 1 (mine is the only bid in a month!), then you get to trade travel hacking stories with yours truly over cocktails at the hotel. Value… priceless!!! (or zero, depending on your point of view)
Here’s the direct link to the package in question. The auction closes tomorrow. Monday, 18 September. Good luck…
I can’t guarantee sunshine for a December weekend getaway in Barcelona, but I’m sure the weather will be nicer than back in the UK!