Some links to products and partners on this website will earn an affiliate commission.
Earning elite level status tiers with hotels can be very difficult. However, if you manage it, the rewards can be fantastic. As a result, if you’re seeking status without wishing to spend half the year with one hotel brand, “fast-track” opportunities or status challenges can be a great way to obtain status the easy way.
One good example of this is the SPG Platinum Challenge.
Ordinarily, SPG Platinum status requires you to make a substantial 25 eligible stays or stay 50 eligible nights in a calendar year. However, the SPG Platinum Challenge gives you SPG Platinum status if you stay just 18 paid nights in a 90 day period (and for the challenge purposes, a stay does not include award/Cash & Points bookings, or bookings made through third party websites (e.g. hotels.com)).
Alternatively, the Gold challenge requires you to stay 9 paid nights in an 18 day period.
To take advantage of the SPG Platinum Challenge, SPG members need to call the relevant SPG telephone number to be enrolled, or you can email [email protected] You should, however, be aware that the Platinum Challenge can’t be requested by members who have been Platinum within the last 5 years, and the same applies to the Gold challenge.
What are the benefits of SPG Platinum Status?
The benefits are set out in full here, and include:
- Three Starpoints for every U.S. dollar spent on eligible stays — a 50% bonus over Preferred.
- Your choice of welcome gift upon arrival — choose from bonus Starpoints, continental breakfast or local amenity.
- An upgrade to best available room at check-in — including a Standard Suite.
- Complimentary in-room, premium Internet access.
- Complimentary health-club, Club-level and Executive-level access.
- Guaranteed room availability when your room is booked by 3 p.m., 72+ hours prior to arrival.