Some links to products and partners on this website will earn an affiliate commission.
One of the issues with writing regularly for a dedicated travel website, is a lot of the time you’re preaching to the converted. For example, a vast number of readers know that the Amex Gold is pretty much the best credit card for earning easy miles and points, and so already hold the card.
If you do not, however, now really is the time to secure one.
The main perks to the Amex Gold are as follows:
- It’s free for the first year (then £140, but you’re under no obligation to renew)
- Ongoing Membership Rewards points earning on your daily spend (typically 1 point per £1 spent), convertible into a vast range of air miles and hotel points
- 2 free airport lounge passes a year
- Regular cardmember offers, giving discounts and bonus points with certain retailers
- A sign up bonus of 22,000 bonus points
However, it is currently offering an enhanced sign up bonus of 32,000 points if your application is accepted on or before 12 May.
32,000 points is worth something in the region of £300 (and cashed out to Nectar points, exactly £256). It can also be converted to, amongst many other airline and hotel points, 32,000 Avios. So, this really is a chunky addition to the card benefits (and remember, it’s free for the first year anyway).
After 12 May, the sign up bonus goes down to 22,000 points. Still a very solid bonus, but clearly if you can apply while it’s 32K you’re getting a far better deal.
A reminder – the Deliveroo offer
To cater for the food delivery addicts that we’ve all now become, the Amex Gold card now also comes with the additional £120 Deliveroo credit every year.