Some links to products and partners on this website will earn an affiliate commission.
Until 11:59 PM PST tonight (so 07:59 am on Monday here in the UK), Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan is offering a targeted bonus on miles purchases.
Different accounts may see different bonuses, so you’ll have to log in to your Mileage Plan account to discover your own personal bonus…
My account received a 60% bonus offer, structured in the following manner:
- Buy 3,000 – 39,000 miles, get a 50% bonus
- Buy 40,000 – 100,000 miles, get a 60% bonus
If you bought 40,000 miles with a 60% bonus, you would receive 64,000 miles. This would cost you $1,182.50 (~£850). That works out at about 1.33p per Alaska Mile, which is the (joint) lowest price my account has ever been targeted with.
But I Don’t Want to Fly to Alaska!
That’s not the idea – most of us are members of Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan in order to spend those miles on partner rewards.
The best deal for Europeans is still Cathay Pacific Business Class. For 42,500 miles each way, you can fly to/from Hong Kong (but you cannot connect onwards in Asia without paying for a separate reward).
First Class will cost you 70,000 miles each way, which is also the price for one-ways in First Class between North America and Asia on Cathay Pacific and Japan Airlines.
And if you are a travel hacker at heart, you can manage to take great advantage of Alaska’s policy to allow stopovers on one-way rewards. Regular readers will know that InsideFlyer UK has highlighted many of the better sweetspots over the years…
It may be some time yet before travel returns to anything like “normal”, but it might be worth stocking up and booking something now, before Alaska updates its award pricing as part of joining the oneworld alliance.
- Transactions must be completed between 6:00 AM PST January 20, 2021 and to be eligible for bonus miles.
- Miles are purchased from Points.com Inc. for a cost of $27.50 per 1,000 miles, plus a 7.5% Federal Excise Tax*, GST/HST for Canadian residents and QST for Quebec residents.
- Miles are non-refundable and do not count toward MVP and MVP/Gold status.
- You may purchase and gift Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles in increments of 1,000 miles up to 60,000 miles, and in increments of 5,000 miles up to a maximum of 100,000 miles per transaction.
- MVP, MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75K Mileage Plan member (Elite Member) accounts have no annual limit on the number of miles which may be purchased or gifted through Points.com. If you are not an Elite Member, your account may only be credited up to a maximum total of 150,000 miles acquired through Points.com in a calendar year, whether purchased by you or gifted to you.
- Offer is subject to change and all terms and conditions of the Mileage Plan Program apply.
- *Points.com Inc. is collecting Federal Excise Tax on behalf of Alaska Airlines Inc.
- Alaska Airlines Inc. has the obligation to collect Federal Excise Tax and remit the tax to the appropriate government agency.