Using Curve card with Mastercard creditcards - what gets counted as a cash advance?

Discussion in 'Miles & points via credit cards' started by FlyingScot, May 31, 2019.

1. cinereus

cinereus Member

Seems a bad idea if you want to ever raise your limits or keep the card a long time.

After all, having the cash to not pay interest isn't the issue, it's being able to "spend" enough while not making it incredibly obvious.

2. johnbrowell

johnbrowell Active Member

Looks like my behaviour has triggered fraud alerts at IHG, which temporarily blocked my card. So that's the end of my double dipping. Back to just earning points the old fashioned way.

3. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Could be, or it could just be Creation Bank being weird. They once put a fraud block on my card because I bought a few things at Tesco (but had no problem with me spending hundreds in a different random location every day when I was travelling a few weeks later). Similarly, a mate had their card blocked for spending a few quid at the work canteen...

4. Rossy

Rossy New Member

Has anyone recently (as in the last month) started getting hit with Interest On Cash charges using their curve (linked to IHG) card to make cash withdrawals. I’ve also been using the card to pay down other CC’s, but I’m struggling to pinpoint if these are being hit with a charge too as the interest charge was just a single line on my monthly statement, and the amounts aren’t the easiest to reverse engineer.

5. cinereus

cinereus Member

Why not just call and ask?

6. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Because, if you've ever managed to get any sense from the good people at Creation Bank, you're a much smarter/luckier person than me! ;)

7. Rossy

Rossy New Member

I spoke to a girl who told me that she thought it was linked to payments I'd made using curve to my AMEX card. I'm not 100% sure though as the numbers don't completely stack up, plus I've never been charged for this in previous statements. Has anyone else ever got similar charges from IHG?

8. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Not sure about cash, but can't see anything from the last month for paying Amex off via Curve. Last Amex transaction was only a few days ago.

9. Rossy

Rossy New Member

Bizarre. I'll keep you updated if anything changes next month

JoeD likes this.