TopCashBack dropping Tesco Clubcard payout from 31st July 2016

Discussion in 'Free/no additional spend miles & points' started by Gagravarr, May 31, 2016.

1. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

"Our relationship with TopCashback is coming to an end as part of the improvements... We have heard from our customers that they want to grow their points balance faster... so we will be focusing on creating more ways customers can earn points at Tesco."

I can grow my points balance faster with points earned via Topcashback. What a strange paragraph.

2. Adam

Adam Active Member

I just got the same email, I'm interested in the statement on creating more ways for customers to earn points. ☺

litefoot likes this.
  3. tommyl

tommyl Co-founder Staff Member

A lot of the communication around this development has been bizarre. In particular TCB saying they were happy removing it partly because you could already withdraw your points as Avios. YES, BUT AT A SUBSTANTIALLY REDUCED RATE TO DOING IT VIA CLUBCARD.

I would seriously hope that anyone who visits this site regularly had never withdrawn from topcashback direct to Avios.

litefoot likes this.
  4. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Seems to me like Tesco are looking to 'streamline'* Clubcard. Less bonus offers, probably higher earning rates on normal shopping ( but offset by devaluation on the redemption side most likely). If they are genuinely looking to increase the number of ways to earn Points, getting rid of TCB is a funny way to start.

*Streamline is basically a worse version of 'enhance', in this context.

litefoot likes this.
  5. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

tommyl likes this.
  6. Adam

Adam Active Member

I once redeemed £15 worth of CB to Avios when I had used up all my annual clubcard allowance and I needed that 1500 miles to book a flight.
    Looking at the cost to purchase avios directly - £31 per 1000 buying through TCB is still ok if you cannot find another cheaper route to purchase. TCB still has its uses in extreme cases.

Gagravarr and litefoot like this.
  7. tommyl

Yes, fair point. Buying miles does make sense when you need that occasional top up, and obviously "buying" them via TCB at the (slightly under) 1p per Avios rate is far better than buying them from BA.

litefoot likes this.
  8. Adam

Adam Active Member

When it works out at a third of the price then a good option but once again, only and only if you have exhausted other cheaper avenues first.
    Read today that someone claims they cashed out £100 to clubcard on TCB. Others ano myself are still getting the usual £50 annual cap on redemptions so we think it's due to Hilton cashback.

litefoot likes this.
  9. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

On a different note, I've just complained to Tesco about not receiving Tesco coupons for the third quarter running. I used to get these in the post every quarter but I haven't had any for the last 18 months. I started complaining in December and they apologised and said I'd get some for the next quarter. When I didn't, I complained again and they gave me 300 points directly.

I didn't get any coupons this month either. Their response this time was:

"Unfortunately around 18 months ago the decision was taken to reduce the amount of vouchers that we send to our customers, so we can focus on keeping prices lower throughout the year rather than at specific times."

They didn't mention this in our previous exchanges.

"We do still send the coupons out but we select the customer that they are sent to at random. I'm sorry that you have not received any for a while but I'm sure you will receive them in the future."

Well given I haven't received them for 18 months, I'm unlikely to get them in the future!

Another Tesco Clubcard benefit vanishes.

10. tommyl

Interesting point - I'd had exactly the same issue for a couple of years and assumed it was because I'm now abroad, so basically never spend in Tesco. It seems maybe not.

Shame, because I agree these were a great little way to boost your easy Clubcard haul.

litefoot likes this.
  11. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

Indeed. And while I'm unfortunately bashing Tesco in this thread, I have received just one Shopper Thoughts survey from them in six months!

12. leeiseverywhere

leeiseverywhere New Member

13. Liam

Liam New Member

Nightmare

14. Darren0291

Darren0291 Member

Topcashback rarely ever tracked for me, usually got rejected

15. elizabrook

elizabrook New Member

Disappointed to see this. Had recently read this was possible but obviously outdated information

16. Annapurnaview

Annapurnaview New Member

I used this to convert to Clubcard and from there to British Airways. You can transfer directly from Topcashback to BA, and there is still a small bonus.