New IHG credit card - 10,000 points !

Discussion in 'IHG Rewards Club' started by johnbrowell, May 9, 2018.

1. tcz8127

tcz8127 Member

I'm interested in the 4 cards limit- is this based on not wanting to negatively impact your credit rating?

I've opened 4 accounts this year, I track my Noddle and Experian score and noted that it dipped slightly after new accounts were open, but then climbed back to normal within 1-2 months.

JoeD likes this.
  2. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Yep - completely unscientific I'm afraid! Just what I've been doing for years without any issues, and it fits in with my usual 'churn pattern'. I certainly know people who are considerably more aggressive in terms of their applications who don't seem to have suffered any negative consequences, so yeah every couple of months is probably fine.

3. Scudder

Scudder New Member

Can you post a link for this card? thanks!

4. johnbrowell

johnbrowell Active Member

5. Scudder

Scudder New Member

So the Platinum IHG card costs £99 but gives you one "free night." Can the free night be used anywhere and anytime you want?

6. johnbrowell

Have to use it within 12 months. Have only used mine in the UK so far but I don't think there are limitations on geography. So it's just down to whether the hotel you choose has free night availability on your preferred date.

Scudder likes this.
  7. fede

fede New Member

thanks for sharing

8. johnbrowell

Quick update; I have booked my latest free night for one of the Intercontinental's in New York. Unfortunately the Barclay was unavailable.

JoeD likes this.
  9. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Very nice John - when you off?

I'll be in NYC myself in October/November I think - not quite IC standard, but 5 nights at one of the downtown Cat 4 Marriotts for 100k Marriott Points is a bargain. I've already used my IHG Certs for a couple of nights in Boston on the same trip.

10. johnbrowell

April next year in school hols with the family. Had a stash of IHG points so booked 5 nights total, 3 in a Holiday Inn and 1 in the IC with points, then the free night voucher for the last night in the IC as well.
    Might be a bit nuts using 2 hotels but wanted to try the IC.

11. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Haha - I once did a 16 night trip where I spent every single night at a different hotel or on a plane (Shannon - Boston - LA - Vegas - LA - Paris - Berlin - London)!

That might have been taking things a bit far in retrospect, but in general I actually like hotel hopping. It gives you the chance to see different parts of a city - and to take advantage of as many deals/bonus point offers/ best rate guarantees/award chart sweetspots as possible.

johnbrowell likes this.
  12. tersoldi

tersoldi New Member

3 holiday _?

13. capo1211

capo1211 New Member

what do IHG points get you?

14. johnbrowell

For me IHG points get free hotel stays; there are other ways to redeem them but in my opinion hotels are the best way. Lots of useful articles on their loyalty programme on this site and similar ones.

Our family have had 3 separate trips for long weekends in London with free hotels, various other trips away with yet more free hotels, and now our upcoming trip to New York with 5 nights free hotels.

JoeD likes this.