Curve Card - new working code, free £5 and free card

Discussion in 'Discount codes' started by West, Nov 19, 2018.

1. West

West New Member

Curve provides a free Mastercard debit card, to which you can link your Mastercard or Visa debit and credit cards. This allows you to benefit from no foreign exchange fees (and cashback for some merchants), whilst charging transactions to the underlying credit / debit cards.

If you use my referral code, as well as getting the card free, you will get an additional free £5 credit once you've made your first transaction:

XTCBP

:)

2. tcz8127

tcz8127 Member

3. West

West New Member

I've used the Beta app. It's good but my already earnt cashback doesn't show! I've provided feedback to Curve and assume that they'll fix it in a future update, but it's clearly not yet ready to roll out more widely.

JoeD likes this.
  4. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Cheers for the update!

5. johnbrowell

johnbrowell New Member

I have just got my Curve card today and am stupidly excited to try it tonight when shopping. Love the idea and the technology behind it.

6. JeJe

JeJe New Member

Note that you can get cash with it, up to 200 per month. Easy 200-300 miles each month if you have linked it to a rewarding card!

JoeD and SteveBG like this.
  7. SteveBG

SteveBG New Member

If it's like Revolut, there's a couple of things to be aware of...
    Remember to use it during the day, Mon - Fri. The exchange rate for your cash outside those times is subject to a premium - about 1% IIRC. It's also worth nothing that the £200 limit is per rolling month, so you can't withdraw £200 today and £200 tomorrow to use both your Nov and Dec 'allowance'.

8. SteveBG

SteveBG New Member

^^^ I hope that makes some kind of sense!
    My assumption was that if you use it to withdraw cash, it'll be treated as a cash advance by your credit card?
    I therefore use Revolut top ups to get cash, and then pay for everything possible with Curve, linked to rewards credit card.
    If you can withdraw cash using the Curve, without incurring CC cash advance fees, then please confirm - that'd be great news!

johnbrowell likes this.
  9. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Yep - that's right. One of its key USPs really. The situation might change now that they are apparently handing more specific purchase data back to the credit card companies, but for now everything I put via Curve (cash or whatever) is just billed to my credit card the same as any other transaction

SteveBG likes this.
  10. johnbrowell

johnbrowell New Member

I thought there had been comments / updates to say that now they pass full MCC codes through to the lenders, withdrawing cash in the UK, on a UK credit card was not a benefit any more, as it would incur the usual fees and interest.

11. johnbrowell

johnbrowell New Member

By the way, I've only used it for 4 transactions so far, and I am hooked. Love it.

12. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Yes, that's the idea - but, it's up to the credit card companies to then actually use that info. So far, I haven't seen any changes in practice (but that may vary by credit card company.).

I do imagine it will change at some point though.

johnbrowell likes this.
  13. JeJe

JeJe New Member

Yes, but many credit card does use the codes. For example, the Virgin credit card does not incur fees.

johnbrowell likes this.
  14. SteveBG

SteveBG New Member

Does anyone know if that's the case for the Hilton Honors Barclaycard, both for UK and International cash withdrawals?
    Thanks in advance

15. johnbrowell

johnbrowell New Member

I'm loving Curve, and tempted to try a small cash withdrawal on my IHG premium credit card. Just a bit wary in case it does end up showing as a cash transaction what with it then incurring interest from the day of withdrawal, and the possibility it will be reported in my credit file as a cash withdrawal on a credit card.

16. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Definitely was ok last time I used it, but that was quite a while (few months maybe?) ago.

SteveBG likes this.