Best first cards - spending around £500/month

Discussion in 'Air miles' started by FlyingScot, Feb 1, 2019.

1. FlyingScot

FlyingScot New Member

Thanks! With the premium BA card, is the free pro rated if I cancel in the first year? If I could hit the spending target quickly and then cancel in a couple of months this could be worthwhile, but I don't see myself getting enough value from the bonus avios to be worth all that much more than the £195 annual fee...

2. bobcat2010

bobcat2010 New Member

Currently yes all American Express cards with an annual fee have their fee pro rata refunded if you cancel.

3. IanUK

IanUK New Member

That's useful to know. Thanks for the info

4. Richard1974

Richard1974 Member

Good tip, thank you, and I'm now doing just that. One thing to watch out for is the loss of Section 75 purchase protection when purchasing via Curve. But since Section 75 only applies to individual purchases over £100 (I think), personally it doesn't affect my main use case of the Curve card, which is for everyday spending while travelling abroad.

5. FlyingScot

FlyingScot New Member

Sorry - another question about card fees. Is the Virgin Atlantic Reward + fee also refunded pro rata if the card's cancelled? Thanks!

6. FlyingScot

FlyingScot New Member

Answered my own question by calling Virgin: they charge the full fee for the Reward + card at the start, and then refund any unused period of time pro rata. The only question now is whether I can manufacture enough spend to hit the £3k target without too much hassle...