Some links to products and partners on this website will earn an affiliate commission.
We’ve had a teaser before. We know what the award chart will look like (see below). But until today we haven’t known which hotels were going to be allocated to which Marriott Rewards award category.
But Marriott has released a website detailing the new award categories for each and every one of their hotels. You can reach it by clicking here.
As you might expect, the list is LOOOOOONNNNNGGGG! So, in the interests of getting the scoop, I’ll keep my comments brief.
- There are approximately 40 hotels assigned to Category 8. Even though Marriott suggest 85,000 points are required, this is misleading and comes with an asterisk, as these hotels will cost 60,000 points for the rest of 2018.
- Due to this, many of the former SPG properties that we expected to land in the new Category 8… won’t! This means that you won’t have to rush to book many high-end SPG hotels, as they will continue to cost 60,000 points per night well into 2019. (equivalent to 20,000 Starpoints)
- At the low end, I can’t see very many former SPG hotels in Categories 1 and 2 (equivalent to 2,500 and 4,166 Starpoints per night). This means that many of the best value SPG hotels will cost substantially more points come August. That said, the fifth night free benefit will now apply, partially offsetting the increase for those on longer stays.
Anyhow, Marriott and SPG members have two months to book reward stays, before the price changes take effect. So, there’s no reason to rush… but you definitely want to look through the list for your favourite hotels, and decide what to do, which is:
- If the price will go up… book before August
- If the price will go down… wait until August before booking
What do you think of these adjustments? Let us know in the comments section.